Thursday, July 16, 2009

Doctors or Midwives

So I had my second DR. appointment today for the new baby. I am still so nervous about this process. I just really liked the way the Midwives handled things and talked to me about what 'We' wanted and not about how they do things. Unfortunately there are no midwives in Logan that deliver at the hospital and my insurance won't cover an at home birth. I thought I would feel more at ease with things after I discussed all my concerns with the doctor but after I asked him everything it just confirmed my beliefs that he is going to do whatever he does procedurally and out of habit. I told him, "I just want to make sure you will support me in the procedures that I prefer." He said, "Well, I am pretty open but let me just tell you what I require and recommend." I understand that he is a doctor and is there for my safety but if things are going well and it is not an emergency situation I would like it to be handled that way. I just get frustrated when their procedures getting pushed upon me when really this should be about me and my baby and not their convenience. I feel very strongly that birth is a natural process and that God made women for this purpose and that this event should be handled like any other natural process. There are high risk pregnancies that need to be handled differently but I don't think God made women in the United States uncapable of having natural births and he made women in other countries more capable. The cesearan section, mortality rate and epidural rates in the United States are unbelievable!!!! I think Doctors are too swift to push epidurals and scientific methods upon women and too slow to encourage natural birth, faith in God and the capabilty that women have to give birth.

3 comments:

Shay said...

Wow, that's no fun! I can't believe that none of the midwives deliver in the hospital. Is there a different doctor that might be more open? I hope it all works out for you! I know that you had a good birthing experience with Ammon. Luckily it is your second so you kind of know what your body is going to do.

Kylee said...

I agree with having someone grownup to talk to. It gets boring sometimes. Thanks for the visit. IT will have to be our turn next.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!
I agree on this one BIG TIME. I also moved away from my midwife and it was not as good of an experiance with a Doctor. They just don't listen to you. (and they don't take the time to REALLY get to know you and what you want as far as child birth)